With the warmer weather upon us, it might be time to start looking for some new exercises for the spring. If you struggle with back pain, there are still exercises you can partake in that are easier on your back. With our chiropractic care in Selden, our team at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness can help treat your back pain and also show you the proper exercises you can do this spring which are safe and easy on your back.
Yoga is a great exercise that has many benefits for your overall health. It is also a great exercise that is safe and easy on your back. Below are some yoga poses you can try at home that can improve your back flexibility and improve your strength:
- Downward facing dog: with your hands and feet planted on the ground, lift your hips up.
- Upward facing dog: after the previous pose, shift forward to a plank pose but make sure your knees are off the ground, keep your chest wide open.
- Seated forward fold: start by sitting in an upright position, your legs laid out flat in front of you. Stretch your arms as far down your legs as you can, trying to touch your toes.
- Lower back clasp: start by lying face down, grasp your hands behind you and lift your chest off the ground. Allowing for a gentle backbend stretch.
If yoga is not for you, low-impact aerobic exercises are also great options for back safety. These types of exercises will actually help relieve back pain by decreasing stiffness and improving blood flow to the spinal structures. By doing so, the spine increases the amounts of nutrients to the area. Exercises such as:
- Swimming: is an excellent form of a low-impact exercise that is easy on the spine. This exercise has virtually no impact on the spinal structures. The water also supports the body while relieving stress on all the joints.
- Walking: partaking in walking everyday at a pace that increases your heart rate gently but efficiently works your muscles. It is an exercise that is sensitive on the spine, unlike jogging would be.
- Elliptical training: using an elliptical machine or a step machine stimulates the movements of jogging or running without the amount of impact received if you weren’t using one of these machines.
- Stationary bicycling: this choice of exercise mimics the motion of being on a bicycle providing you with great aerobic exercise results without the movement impact of riding a bike on an uneven ground. Stationary bikes come in recumbent models, which provides back support in a reclined position.
All of the exercises mentioned are low-impact exercise methods that can elevate your heart rate without putting too much shock or damage on your back. At Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness we are here to help. With our chiropractic care in Selden, we will work together to show you how to exercise this spring in the healthiest and safest way possible. Looking for chiropractic care in Selden? Contact us today to make an appointment with our team!