You typically expect the cause of back pain to be from injury, stressful physical exertion, or even age, but the cause of your back pain can be as simple as your footwear choice. Certain types of shoes do not offer the support your body needs and can cause or intensify pre-existing back pain. If you are seeking chiropractic care in Smithtown for your back pain, our professionals at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness offer a variety of services that can help.
Shoes to Avoid
Some of your favorite fashionable footwear may look great, but can come with unwanted effects for both men and women.
- High heels – add stress on the lower back because they throw off the body’s alignment. Occasional wearing of high heels will not cause back issues; however if worn daily for long periods of time, the strain on your back will worsen.
- Flip flops – seem like a safe choice being that they are easy to walk in, but they actually lack a great deal of support which can lead to arch pain.
- Slip-on sandals – these cause the foot to clench in order to grip the shoe because of the lack of strap support. This results in the lower back trying to compensate for the loss of support from the foot; therefore causing pain.
- High-top Sneakers – these types of sneakers limit ankle motion which creates strain on the back while trying to establish stability lost from the ankle.
Getting chiropractic care in Smithtown can help alleviate the pain associated with your everyday footwear.
The Best Shoes for Your Back
The types of shoes that are the best for your body and that can relieve back pain are those that mimic the natural arch of your foot.
Choose proper footwear would entail footwear that:
- Absorbs shock when you walk
- Provides motion control
- Cushions the foot in order to prevent abnormal movement
- Provides stability and support – high heels and loose fitting shoes do not
If you are suffering from back pain, consider your choice of shoes as a possible cause. In addition to wearing the correct footwear, different chiropractic care options at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness can help relieve the stress put on your back from lack of support. Some services we provide that can help you lead a healthy and pain-free life include:
- Chiropractic Adjustments – this is a form of spinal manipulation used to restore the proper structure of the spine.
- Soft Tissue Therapy – using Active Release Therapy (ART), we reduce joint stress and release tightened muscles.
- Cold Laser Therapy – this technique is used with patients who endure chronic pain. Impulses of light at different wavelengths are targeted at trigger points to help repair damaged cells.
- Chiropractic Biophysics – CBP focuses on realigning the spine to improve bad posture which may be a result of wearing unsupportive footwear.
- Cox Flexion-Distraction – Cox Technic provides fast relief of back pain by improving range of motion in the joints and muscles and increases flexibility.
Make an appointment with us today at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness if you are in need of chiropractic care in Smithtown! We will help you manage your pain easily and effectively.